Here’s some word surprises. Did you know that:
• Stewardesses is the longest word typed with only the left hand, assuming you are a proper-typist, as opposed to those of us who specialize in the hunt-and-peck two-finger typing system.
• Lollipop is the longest word typed with your right hand.
• No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.
• Dreamt is the only English word that ends in the letters mt.
• The sentence, “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog,” uses every letter of the alphabet.
• The words racecar, kayak and level are palindromes. That is, they read the same from left to right and right to left.
• There are only four words in the English language which end in dous: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous and hazardous.
• There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order: abstemious and facetious.
• Typewriter is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.
Test yourself on the most commonly misspelled words. Select the correct spelling in each of the following questions.
There are no prizes. Just the thrill of knowing that you knew the correct spelling, or did you?
Which of the following spellings is correct?
10. Which of the following spellings is correct for a page at the beginning of a book?
14. Which of the following spellings is correct in Canadian English?